The NAHB Remodelers of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), in conjunction with the Home Innovation Research Labs, the NAHB 50+ Housing Council and the AARP, developed the Certified Aging-In-Place Specialist (CAPS) program to address the growing number of Americans who want to age in a comfortable and familiar environment. As licensed CAPS professionals, the Bath Creations staff has been trained to fully understand the unique needs of older adults, and the modifications that can remove common barriers.
A Bath to Love Now and in the Future
If you’re going to the trouble and expense of remodeling your bathroom, why not make it the last renovation you will ever need? With careful planning, you can make your bath one you can use safely and comfortably for the rest of your life. Unfortunately, many homeowners regard aging-in-place remodeling as something that can be delayed until much later – but when a debilitating illness or injury strikes, there is rarely time or energy for renovations.
At Bath Creations, we like to think of aging-in-place as an opportunity to create a bath so beautiful, comfortable and reflective of your style that you never want to leave. Health and safety solutions can easily be incorporated into a bathroom remodel without looking institutional or out-of-place. Here are some renovation ideas that also offer aging-in-place benefits.
- Ample lighting. In the bathroom, consider installing lighting next to the door, over the bath and/or shower, and in corners to improve sight and prevent falls.
- Spa features. A low-threshold, walk-in shower makes a bathroom feel bigger and eliminates barriers to those who use wheelchairs and other mobility equipment. Additional options such as bench seating, an anti-slip floor, a removable handheld shower and a hydrotherapy system in the bath permit easy use of the bathroom whether you are standing or sitting.
- Under-counter legroom. Sinks with sufficient knee space underneath can make bathroom use easier if you need to sit while shaving or applying makeup, or if you are accessing the sink from a wheelchair.
- Chair-height toilets. A chair-height toilet with enough surrounding space for safety bars to be installed and wheelchair maneuverability can eliminate many future headaches.
- Well-located storage. A bundant storage located at an easy height makes bathroom use simple now and in the future.
Create the bath you’ll always want with the CAPS experts at Bath Creations. We can help with the design and installation of a bathroom remodel that will always meet your needs.
Schedule a FREE In-Home Consultation
Call Bath Creations at (937) 222-3200 or submit an online request form to schedule a free, in-home consultation with one of our friendly staff members. We would love to meet you and discuss your bathroom remodeling project!